Reporting to the Lead Water Quality, the Water Quality Engineer/Scientist is responsible for refining and using planning tools and water quality data analysis to support mine planning and water quality management decisions at Teck’s Coal operations.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Undertake, and manage consultants, to complete water quality modelling work as required to support mine plan evaluations, regulatory applications, or support the planning, design, and operation of water quality mitigations
- Review monitoring programs or study designs to provide input to water quality models
- Create professional reports on methods and results of modelling analyses
- Identify potential water quality management issues and options to address those issues
- Support development and maintenance of site-specific planning tools associated with water quality predictions and water balances
- Support improvement and updating of water modelling tools
- Develop and support the use of processes to standardize routine modelling tasks
- Perform other responsibilities as required or as assigned
- Engineering or Science degree in an environmental science related field, such as Hydrology, Geochemistry, or Geoscience
- Five years of relevant professional experience with a focus on water quality modelling
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Mining experience in mine planning, water management, or environment is an asset
- Technical knowledge of water quality planning tools, specifically GoldSim, is an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both formal and informal settings
- A professional designation is a requirement
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.