Reporting to the Supervisor, Systems Engineering, the Senior Systems Analyst is responsible for the end to end delivery and support of computer and communication systems, and for developing standards and best practices for use of emerging technologies, such as wireless networking to support mining automation systems, at all of Teck’s large scale mining and mineral processing operations worldwide.
This position offers a compressed workweek with alternating Fridays off, and comes with a competitive pay and benefits package.
This role provides technical leadership for projects in the range of $50k to $5M, and requires a high degree of collaboration with other stakeholders at all Teck operations, as well as at supplier and partner companies.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Establish a test lab that will enable Teck to validate new wireless networking technologies
- Evaluate Teck’s current state of the art outdoor wireless communication technology, and develop a roadmap and reference architecture for the same
- Develop best practices for configuration and use of wireless communications systems to support applications such as autonomous haulage
- Introduce new computer and communications hardware and software to support operational objectives at Teck sites
- Engage stakeholders to solicit feedback on new systems
- Drive vendors to improve the quality, performance, and cost of new systems
- Perform other tasks as assigned
- Degree in Computer or Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution, with at least ten years relevant experience
- In depth knowledge of TCP/IP and 802.11 networking
- In depth knowledge of LTE wireless communications technology
- Familiarity with current industry trends in wireless communications
- In depth knowledge of RF communications fundamentals
- In depth understanding of wireless test and measurement techniques
- Familiarity with introducing new technology products into a production environment
- Demonstrated ability to test and evaluate prototype systems to ensure they meet all relevant performance specifications, and are fit for purpose
- Demonstrated ability to successfully introduce new technology products into a production environment
- Demonstrated ability to work with users and vendors to drive improvements to the quality, performance, and cost of technology solutions
- Familiarity with applicable safety protocols when working around heavy equipment in a mining or construction environment would be an asset
- Valid class 5 driver's license, comfortable operating four wheel drive vehicles in remote areas
- Valid passport and ability to travel as necessary to support Teck's mining and mineral processing operations
- Highly motivated individual that is able to work independently to achieve the desired outcomes
- Demonstrated problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Well developed interpersonal skills; a team player
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.