Taseko Mines is a dynamic international mining company, headquartered in Vancouver. Our strategy is to grow our company through developing our pipeline of high quality, advanced stage projects.
Taseko owns (75%) and operates the state-of-the-art Gibraltar Mine in central British Columbia. Gibraltar is the second largest open pit copper mine in Canada and has a 700 person workforce. Gibraltar has a long mine life and produces an average of 140 million pounds of copper and 2.5 million pounds of molybdenum per year.
In addition to being a significant copper and molybdenum producer, Taseko is also an accomplished mine developer with a promising pipeline of gold, copper and niobium projects in both Canada and the United States.
Taseko is entering a period of exciting growth and opportunity.
Taseko has recently completed construction of a US$25 million demonstration plant at our Florence Copper Project in Arizona. Florence Copper is a unique in-situ copper recovery project which is environmentally friendly, low capital and operating cost and will increase Taseko’s copper production significantly when it reaches commercial scale. The Taseko team is actively engaged in the operation of the demonstration plant as well as the design and permitting of the commercial facility for Florence.
With the recently announced acquisition of Yellowhead Mining, Taseko has added yet another major project to our development portfolio. Yellowhead is a large open-pit copper project located 150km north of Kamloops, BC. With over $60m having been spent on a Feasibility Study and Environment Plan to-date, the Taseko team is excited to build upon this technical work and advance the project through permitting and into production.
Taseko understands that continued success and growth are created from our most valued asset, our people. Taseko is looking to add to our experienced corporate engineering team working on our broad pipeline of projects which are at various stages of design, permitting, construction and operation. This presents a unique opportunity for successful applicants to get in at the ground floor of these exciting projects and help shape the future of Taseko. Excellence is always our goal and achieving it means attracting, training and rewarding those who share our ambition and passion to be the very best we can be.
Based out of Taseko’s head office in Vancouver and reporting to the Vice President, Capital Projects, the Senior Project Engineer is responsible for project planning, engineering and management to support Taseko’s development and business improvement projects. The Senior Project Engineer also provides technical support, as required, for operations, environmental assessment, permitting and acquisition evaluations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise engineering projects and procurement within approved scopes, schedules and budgets.
- Identify, communicate and manage project interdependencies and risks.
- Coordinate with senior staff to determine specific project requirements.
- Prepare technical studies, preliminary designs and cost estimates to evaluate projects and project alternatives.
- Supervise external technical consultants including development of work scopes, tracking progress and ensuring objectives are met.
- Assist with project planning, engineering, procurement, construction, and commissioning for mine development projects.
- Participate in the development of design criteria, P&IDs, plant layouts, and technical specifications.
- Participate as part of a multi-disciplinary team to perform engineering feasibility/prefeasibility studies, trade-off studies, cost analysis, property evaluations, and development planning activities.
- Provide project planning and management support for Gibraltar Mine and Florence, as required.
- Present results of studies and projects to executive level staff in Vancouver through a variety of methods, not limited to, but including, written reports, memos, live presentations, and informal meetings
Education and Work Experience
- Undergraduate Engineering degree in Civil, Mechanical, or Electrical.
- Minimum five years’ experience in the planning or execution of industrial projects. Experience with mining projects preferred.
- Registration as a P.Eng. with EGBC or the ability to become registered within 12 months.
- Proven project management experience.
- Experience with the design and maintenance of flotation concentrators or solvent extraction/Electrowinning plants would be an asset.
Skills and Competencies
- High ethical standards, accountability, and integrity.
- Demonstrated relationship management, critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making skills.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage and prioritize several assignments at one time.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and within established timelines.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Proven initiative and self-motivation.
Taseko offers an excellent benefit package which includes competitive salary, Registered Retirement Savings Plan and relocation to Vancouver
Job ID: 410
Province/State: British Columbia
Qualified applicants, eligible to work in Canada, are invited to explore this opportunity by submitting a cover letter and detailed resume outlining your qualifications and experience, in confidence, using the Apply button.
We thank all applicants who express interest and we will keep your application on file for six months. Your application to this posting is deemed to be consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Taseko respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.