Reporting to the Engineering Superintendent, the Senior Mining Engineer Supervisor is responsible for managing the short range engineering group, which includes mine planning, drill and blast, survey, production engineering, and geotechnical engineering. As a senior leader on the site, the candidate will be responsible for guiding the operation to achieve the annual production budget and is responsible for all aspects of design, schedule, implementation, and reconciliation of the mine plan.
This is an opportunity to take on a challenging role in an exciting time at Cardinal River, as the construction begins for the Redcap Mine Extension project – a significant capital project to extend the operating mineral reserves.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Provide technical expertise, leadership, and training for the engineering team
- Oversee mine design, pit and dump optimization, economic evaluation, cost estimating, productivity forecasting, equipment selection, and production scheduling on a wide range of studies from day-to-day to 18 months
- Oversee the implementation of the 18 Month Mine Plan and Budget
- Ensure critical safety standards are in place and implemented for geotechnical engineering, mine design, and drill and blast
- Liaise between the operating departments (Mine Operations, Mobile Maintenance, Plant Operations) to ensure targets for production, costs, and quality are met
- Liaise between technical services groups, acting as a critical link between short range and long range mine planning, projects, environment, and finance
- Influence site decision making through detailed data analysis and sound mining practices
- Oversee tracking and reporting of production data with respect to plan compliance
- Drive continuous improvement through the sponsorship of iterative sensitivity analysis on mine sequences and parameters
- BSc. Engineering or equivalent with a Mining, Civil, or Geological specialization
- P. Eng.or P.Geol. designation is required, with the ability to attain NI43-101 Qualified Person status
- Superior leadership, interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Minimum five years of well-rounded engineering experience, with prior exposure coordinating or supervising an engineering team; equivalent combination of education and open pit engineering experience may be acceptable
- Previous work in multi coal seam open pit, truck and shovel operations is advantageous
- Supervisory experience in a mine operations group is an asset
- Geotechnical engineering knowledge related to pit walls, dumps, and monitoring systems
- Excellent computer skills, particularly in the Microsoft Suite®; Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Advanced skillset in 3D mine design and mine scheduling software (Minesight 3D and XPAC are considered assets)
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, and decision making abilities
- Broad understanding of logistics, marketing, regulatory, environmental, and community affairs
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and excel in a technical team-based environment
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.