Taseko Mines is a dynamic international mining company, headquartered in Vancouver. Our strategy is to grow our company through developing our pipeline of high quality, advanced stage projects.
Taseko owns (75%) and operates the state-of-the-art Gibraltar Mine in central British Columbia. Gibraltar is the second largest open pit copper mine in Canada and has a 700 person workforce. Gibraltar has a long mine life and produces an average of 140 million pounds of copper and 2.5 million pounds of molybdenum per year.
In addition to being a significant copper and molybdenum producer, Taseko is also an accomplished mine developer with a promising pipeline of gold, copper and niobium projects in both Canada and the United States.
Taseko is entering a period of exciting growth and opportunity.
Taseko has recently completed construction of a US$25 million demonstration plant at our Florence Copper Project in Arizona. Florence Copper is a unique in-situ copper recovery project which is environmentally friendly, low capital and operating cost and will increase Taseko’s copper production significantly when it reaches commercial scale. The Taseko team is actively engaged in the operation of the demonstration plant as well as the design and permitting of the commercial facility for Florence.
With the recently announced acquisition of Yellowhead Mining, Taseko has added yet another major project to our development portfolio. Yellowhead is a large open-pit copper project located 150km north of Kamloops, BC. With over $60m having been spent on a Feasibility Study and Environment Plan to-date, the Taseko team is excited to build upon this technical work and advance the project through permitting and into production.
Taseko understands that continued success and growth are created from our most valued asset, our people. Taseko is looking to add to our experienced corporate engineering team working on our broad pipeline of projects which are at various stages of design, permitting, construction and operation. This presents a unique opportunity for successful applicants to get in at the ground floor of these exciting projects and help shape the future of Taseko. Excellence is always our goal and achieving it means attracting, training and rewarding those who share our ambition and passion to be the very best we can be.
Reporting to the Chief Engineer, the Senior Mine Engineer will be in integral member of an experienced corporate engineering team working on a broad spectrum of projects at various stages of design, permitting, construction and operation. Based in Vancouver, the successful candidate will provide support at the corporate level including project mine planning, technical input to environmental assessment and permitting of projects, and acquisition evaluation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Capable of completing a broad range of multidisciplinary tasks in a timely and cost-efficient manner.
- Assume a project management role for some aspects of mine design and development, evaluating consultant proposals, coordinating deliverables and controlling costs.
- Perform optimized life of mine and medium-term designs, including pit design, scheduling and budgeting.
- Contribute to the technical aspects of environmental assessments and permitting.
- Participate in the technical and financial analysis of potentially accretive acquisitions.
- Present results of studies and projects to executive level staff in Vancouver through a variety of methods, not limited to, but including, written reports, memos, live presentations, and informal meetings
Education and Work Experience
- Degree in Mining Engineering with a minimum of 5 years of related experience.
- Registration as a P.Eng. with EGBC or the ability to become registered within 12 months.
- Proficiency in mine design, planning and scheduling software, GIS basics, and Microsoft Office.
- Experience with geotechnical considerations in pit, tailings, and dump design.
- Exposure to geological and geostatistical modelling concepts.
- Familiarity with water management concepts and modelling would be an asset.
- Proficiency in cost estimation, cash flow model development, and economic evaluation.
- Proven project management experience.
- Preference will be given to those with experience at an operating mine.
Skills and Competencies
- High ethical standards, accountability, and integrity.
- Demonstrated relationship management, critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making skills.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage and prioritize several assignments at one time.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and within established timelines.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Proven initiative and self-motivation.