Reporting to the Senior Specialist Regulatory Approvals, the Senior Lead Regulatory Approvals is responsible for directing and managing the Social, Environmental, and Regulatory Approvals (SERA) component of Teck’s major development projects. The successful candidate is responsible for driving provincial and federal Environmental Assessment (EA) and permitting processes to obtain all necessary regulatory approvals required to enable the construction and operation of new mining areas, or expansions, at our existing coal operations.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Direct and manage the development of integrated and high quality EA and permit applications in a timely and efficient manner
- Develop and implement the SERA strategies and plans for major development projects
- Manage multi-disciplinary teams, including coordination and collaboration with engineering teams, and internal and external subject matter experts
- Manage budgets, schedule, and scope of the SERA components of projects
- Ensure that projects align with requirements set out in agreements, in place with indigenous groups, and with Teck’s regional environmental and social programs
- Identify risks and opportunities, and recommend changes to the strategic direction for SERA processes, where necessary
- Provide briefings to the SERA Advisory Group and Project Board members
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with mine operations, project team, and subject matter experts to ensure full integration of SERA aspects within the project
- Complete other responsibilities as required or as assigned
- Engineering or Science degree/diploma in environment, forestry, agronomy, biology, or related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered
- Minimum seven to ten years of related experience in the resource industry, preference within the mining industry
- Understanding of the requirements of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, BC Environmental Assessment Act, BC Mines Act, BC Water Sustainability Act, BC Environmental Management Act, and other applicable legislation
- Experience in leading the regulatory aspects of major projects (mining or other natural resource industry), permitting processes, legal, environmental, and other requirements for open pit mines, preferably in BC and Alberta
- Experience working with indigenous groups and non-indigenous communities of interest
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships
- Project management skills of large or complex multidisciplinary projects and consulting teams
- Able to integrate new information, realign project strategies and direction to manage identified risks and opportunities related to SERA
- Understanding of water quality treatment and management is an asset.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.