Reporting to the Superintendent, Health and Safety, the Safety and Loss Control Supervisor establishes and assists in the implementation of effective safety programs within Elkview Operations that promote and maintain safe and healthy working conditions.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Mentor and develop a team of Safety Coordinators, Emergency Response Coordinators and Loss Prevention Officers to ensure consistency and high quality of work
- Ensure Elkview Operations meets its strategic Health and Safety Objectives in High Potential Risk Control, Occupational Health and Hygiene and Courageous Safety Leadership
- Provide technical support and functional leadership to site departments and personnel in areas related to health and safety
- Monitor investigation practices to assess compliance with regulations and Teck policies
- Ensure adequate emergency response requirements are met
- Ensure that employees, contractors and regulatory authorities working on site are advised of the safety policies and regulations of Teck and monitor their compliance with these regulations
- Provide support to maintain and deliver the site’s Exposure Reduction Plan
- Guide and mentor the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee
- Develop, coordinate and conduct necessary safety training, audits and inspections
- Maintain site and corporate safety reporting requirements
- Sustain the Health and Safety Management program that supports managing safe work and work place hazard communication
- Contribute to the maintenance of safe working environments by regularly inspecting work areas, reporting on practices and conditions found
- Perform other responsibilities as required or as assigned
- Diploma or Degree in Occupational Health and Safety
- Minimum five years related experience supervising a safety team
- Possession of a CRSP designation would be an asset
- Proficient in Mine Rescue, First Aid and Emergency Response
- Mining or heavy industry experience is preferred
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office® package: Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Ability to multi-task and keep accurate records
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.