Reporting to the Manager, Health and Safety, the Occupational Hygienist is responsible for driving the continual improvement, consistency, and implementation of Teck’s Occupational Health Program as part of the ongoing commitment to Everyone Going Home Safe and Healthy Every Day.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Initiate, develop, implement, and maintain physical and chemical exposure monitoring and assessment studies, evaluate and interpret the data obtained from such studies and recommend mitigation strategies to protect the health of employees for the Coal Business Unit
- Prepare, organize, and deliver technical training and informational presentations to operation based occupational hygiene representatives and management
- Provide technical occupational health & hygiene evaluation, advice, and assistance to operations and business unit based projects
- Collaborate with operations, projects, and external personnel in problem-solving and improvements regarding hygiene and occupational health concerns
- Provide support and leadership in developing, communicating, and implementing business unit wide policies and programs to address occupational health concerns
- Coordinate periodic audits to evaluate the effectiveness and adequacy of existing occupational health programs and identify opportunities to utilize industry best practices, and recommend improvements
- Provide technical expertise regarding Safety Data Sheets utilized at Teck Coal Operations
- Collaborate with the Teck Coal Lead Occupational Hygienist within the fields of health and hygiene
- Act as a member of the Teck Corporate and Teck Coal Health and Hygiene Committee
- Provide recommendations and assistance on occupational hygiene matters to other Teck operations outside Teck Coal, as requested
- Coordinate external hygiene consultants and analysis services to ensure the quality of deliverables
- Maintain a constructive liaison with regulatory agencies, applicable associations, and unions on occupational health and hygiene matters
- Post-secondary degree in Occupational Hygiene, or related science degree, with graduate degree strongly preferred
- Certified Industrial Hygienist Certificate from the American Board of Industrial Hygiene, or be a Registered Occupational Hygienist from the Canadian Registration Board of Occupational Hygienists
- Minimum of five years’ experience related to the evaluation and control of occupational exposures in an industrial environment
- Comprehensive working knowledge of applicable Health and Safety regulations and the ability to understand and interpret complex mandatory regulations and their impact
- Familiar with the key aspects of safety leadership and the importance of influencing skills
- Highly effective communication skills with the ability to relate to and communicate with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work well both as a team player and individually as well as exhibit a positive, “can-do” attitude
- Self-motivated, capable of working under minimal supervision, and function best in a high performance work environment
- Strong computer skills and experience with the Microsoft Office Suite®, especially Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Experience in occupational hygiene data management systems and statistical assessment methods considered an asset
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.