Reporting to the Manager, Health and Safety, the Occupational Health Nurse will drive the continual improvement, consistency, and implementation of Teck’s Occupational Health Program as part of the ongoing commitment to Everyone Going Home Safe and Healthy Every Day.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Develop programs to promote health and hygiene in the workplace, as well as assess and identify areas which require occupational health programs to be implemented
- Provide support and leadership in developing, communicating, and implementing business unit wide policies and programs to identify and address occupational health concerns
- Perform health and hygiene awareness education pertaining to protection to occupational health hazards
- Provide examination, education, and counselling in support of the Fitness for Work Program
- Schedule appointments and coordinate the transfer of information with outside service providers
- Produce, maintain, and distribute statistical data for administrative, educational, and research purposes
- Research and recommend medical equipment based on the needs of occupational health programs
- Collaborate with site-based personnel, occupational hygienists, and external service providers to progress Teck Coal’s occupational health programs
- Be an active member of the Teck Corporate and Teck Coal Health and Hygiene Committees
- Complete other duties as assigned or required
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree
- Practicing registration with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia
- Currently hold, or pursing, a Certificate in Occupational Health Nursing
- A minimum of five years of related work experience in Occupational Health or Public Health Nursing
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience in areas of occupational health such as ability management, ergonomics, health promotion and wellness, health assessments, and industrial hygiene
- Experience in ICU or ER considered an asset
- Working knowledge of applicable Health and Safety regulations and the ability to understand and interpret complex mandatory regulations and their impact
- Familiar with the key aspects of safety leadership and the importance of influencing skills
- Highly effective communication skills with the ability to relate to and communicate with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work well both as a team player and individually as well as exhibit a positive, “can-do” attitude
- Self-motivated and capable of working under minimal supervision and functions best in a high performance work environment
- Strong computer skills and experience with the Microsoft Office Suite®, especially Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Experience in occupational health and hygiene data management systems
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.