Reporting to the Superintendent, Engineering, the Mining Engineer is responsible for working with a team to support engineering functions at Teck Coal Operations, meeting corporate governance requirements, and site coordination activities
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Work in a wide range of mine planning activities including pit and dump design, production scheduling, infrastructure development, capital estimation, optimization, and drilling and blasting
- Perform economic evaluations, peer reviews, productivity analyses, and equipment selection tasks
- Assist with corporate governance reporting, best practice identification and integration, Engineering communities of practice facilitation, Engineering training, Site Engagement and Alignment
- Carry out production monitoring, reconciliation, and reporting
- Evaluate new mining methods and technologies
- Participate in other projects as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Mining Engineering
- Candidate for registration as a member of the Engineers and Geoscientists, B.C.
- Minimum six to ten years of work experience in a mining environment.
- Previous experience in open pit, truck and shovel operations is very important, while experience with autonomous haulage or conveyance systems is an asset
- Proficiency with COMET, including the incorporation of haulage optimization is also a definite asset.
- Previous experience in short, medium, and long range mine planning in a multi-pit operation is a benefit
- Strong computer skills with mine engineering related optimization, design, and scheduling software
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment
- Effective interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills, and is comfortable making recommendations
- Possess good time management skills and ability to work in a self-directed manner
- Ability to work collaboratively with others in a technical team based environment
- After a period of time the incumbent should expect to be rotated to site for further career development.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.