Reporting to the Superintendent, Environment Water Operations, the Lead, Water Systems will be responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining a functional Environmental Management System (EMS) for Teck’s water treatment operations. The position will also work closely with the Social Environment & Regulatory Approvals (SERA) teams for water treatment projects to ensure conditions and commitments are fulfilled and integrated into the EMS during the permitting process and through the transition from project to operations.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Foster a culture of diligence, integrity, and teamwork in achieving environmental objectives
- Develop, implement, and maintain an EMS for Water Operations that drives objectives and targets
- Implement and populate Teck’s Data Management tools including SharePoint, EQUiS, GIS Permitting Database, and Siteline
- Populate tasks, assign responsibilities, communicate with persons responsible, and provide support and training as required
- Develop and lead an EMS Committee to support the advancement of Teck’s sustainability culture within water operations
- Support the Project Team and SERA Manager of new water projects by incorporating conditions, commitments, management plan tasks, sampling programs, alarm tables, etc. into the EMS framework during the project and prior to handover to operations
- Support established and future water operations with regulatory engagement, minor permitting, risk identification, management of change, training, audits/verifications, competency assessments, incident response, and environmental systems management
- Use appropriate project management controls to keep projects on schedule and on budget
- Develop best management practices and guidance to standardize delivery and implementation of environmental projects and programs
- Recognize issues or challenges, develop and evaluate options, and implement solutions
- Build internal working relationships for the purposes of facilitating environmental education and compliance
- Develop working relationships with government agencies, aboriginal groups, and other local communities of interest to support understanding of Teck’s water treatment activities
- Responsible for contractor management to ensure work is being conducted safely and in accordance with the project scope including HSEC and Environmental Protection Work Plans
- Other responsibilities as assigned or required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Environmental Science, or in one of the Earth Sciences disciplines (i.e., Hydrology, Hydrogeology, Biology, Geography, Forestry, Agriculture)
- Will consider Diploma in Environmental Technology with relevant work experience
- Minimum seven years’ experience in the field of environmental permitting, EMS management, water quality monitoring, or water management
- Eligible for registration with an applicable professional organization such as RP Bio, P. Eng or related designation
- Previous experience with permit implementation and the development and implementation of Environmental Management Systems are assets
- Proficiency with Teck’s EMS tools (SharePoint, SiteLine, EQUIS, GIS Permitting Database) is a significant asset
- Technical knowledge of relevant federal and provincial environmental legislation, standards, and effective industry practices
- Strong leadership, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong analytical and decision making abilities with a proven capacity in practical problem solving
- High level of initiative and the ability to work productively with nominal supervision
- Ability to prioritize multiple competing tasks to see projects to completion while addressing any challenges along the way
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.