Reporting to the Superintendent, Environment Water Operations, the Lead, Water Compliance will be responsible for providing environmental performance, compliance, and monitoring support for Teck’s water treatment operations. The successful candidate will be responsible for analyzing and reporting environmental data, maintaining environmental compliance, and reducing potential environmental risk associated with Teck’s water treatment facilities.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Foster a culture of diligence, integrity, and teamwork in achieving environmental objectives.
- Submit internal and compliance reports
- Oversee monitoring sampling and inspection programs
- Provide data review, interpretation, and trend analysis
- Provide operational permitting, process change, change management support
- Develop Strategic Planning and Policy, guidance documents, and operational plans
- Develop corrective action plans for non-compliances and non-conformances
- Provide training and support to water operations staff and contractors
- Support established and future water operations with risk identification, commissioning support, management of change, training, competency assessments, audits/verifications, and incident response
- Supervise contractors
- Develop water operations team expertise and drive continuous improvement
- Use appropriate project management controls to keep projects on schedule and budget
- Develop best management practices and guidance to standardize delivery and implementation of environmental projects and programs
- Lead field, lab, and data management inspections and audits to confirm standard operating procedures, guidance documents, and management plans are being followed
- Recognize issues or challenges, develop and evaluate options, and implement solutions
- Build internal working relationships for the purposes of facilitating environmental education and compliance
- Develop working relationships with government agencies, Aboriginal groups, and other local communities of interest to support understanding of Teck’s water treatment activities
- Responsible for contractor management to ensure work is being conducted safely and in accordance with the project scope including HSEC and Environmental Protection Work Plans
- Other responsibilities as assigned or required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Environmental Science, or in one of the Earth Sciences disciplines (i.e., Hydrology, Hydrogeology, Biology, Geography, Forestry, Agriculture)
- Will consider Diploma in Environmental Technology with relevant work experience
- Minimum seven years’ technical experience in the field of water quality monitoring or water management
- Eligible for registration with an applicable professional organization such as RP Bio, P. Eng, or related designation
- Previous experience in laboratory analysis, data management, water quality sampling, and compliance reporting are assets
- Proficient in environmental data management, analysis and reporting, including utilization of EQuIS is a significant asset
- Technical knowledge of relevant federal and provincial environmental legislation, standards, and effective industry practices
- Strong leadership, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Strong analytical and decision making abilities with a proven capacity in practical problem solving
- High level of initiative and the ability to work productively with nominal supervision
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.