Reporting to the Manager Regulatory Approvals, the Lead Regulatory Approvals is responsible for managing and coordinating major environmental permitting projects. The successful candidate will also be tasked with obtaining the necessary environmental assessment approvals and permits that are required to allow construction and operation of new mining areas or water quality management projects at our coal operations or for new coal mines. The Lead, Regulatory Approvals will manage the work of a multi-disciplinary consulting teams, coordinate the interaction of the consulting teams with mine operations and project engineering teams, and manage the regulatory process.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Ensure project approvals and delivery of environmental permits are obtained through Teck’s Social, Environmental and Regulatory Approvals (SERA) framework
- Manage major permitting projects to obtain necessary environmental assessment and permit approvals in an efficient and timely manner
- Coordinate multi-disciplinary environmental assessment and permitting teams
- Identify issues, recommend, and implement changes to the regulatory approvals processes within the coal business unit
- Ensure alignment of regulatory approvals work with Teck’s regional environmental programs (e.g., monitoring, water quality modelling) and social responsibility programs
- Deliver briefings to internal project board members and advisory groups
- Supply input to resource requirements for environmental assessment and permits projects
- Provide input to project risk analysis and provide direction relating to project scope
- Complete other responsibilities as required or as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma of Engineering or Science in environment, forestry, agronomy, biology or related field
- Minimum six to eight years of experience in the resource industry
- Strong understanding of provincial and federal environmental assessment and permitting processes. Experience with these processes through projects undertaken in British Columbia and Alberta is considered an asset
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience in environmental assessment and obtaining approvals and permits in both provincial and federal processes, preferably in the mining or other major industrial resource sector
- Knowledge of legal and other requirements for open pit mines, preferably in BC and Alberta
- Strong oral and written communication skills in both formal and informal settings
- Excellent project management skills and experience in managing large or complex multidisciplinary projects and consulting teams
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.