Reporting to the Manager, Regulatory Approvals, the Lead, Operational Regulatory Approvals is responsible for driving regulatory approvals activities for operations in the Coal business unit. This role requires time to be spent at mining operations.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Oversee the development of all Elk Valley site-specific “non-major” permitting applications
- Lead and supervise a team of professionals who are responsible for delivery of site-specific regulatory approvals
- Provide direction on regulatory approvals strategy including required engagement activities, permitting schedules, and application approach, scope, and quality
- Review regulatory applications for operations, and provide direction for associated approval conditions and their implementation
- Understand, interpret, and advise on existing and emerging federal and provincial regulations related to operational regulatory approvals
- Identify areas for innovation to ensure continuous improvement of Teck’s regulatory approvals projects, and direct work as required
- Ensure approvals and delivery of environmental permits are obtained through Teck’s Social, Environmental, and Regulatory Approvals (SERA) framework
- Ensure alignment and integration of regulatory approvals work with Teck’s regional environmental programs (monitoring, water quality modelling) and social responsibility programs
- Complete other responsibilities as required
- Science or Engineering degree or diploma in an environmental-related field, with a post-graduate degree or diploma is an asset
- Minimum seven to nine years of experience in regulatory approvals and project management in the natural resource sector, preferably in mining
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered
- Technical knowledge and application of federal and provincial regulatory approvals practices and regulations, especially within British Columbia
- Ability to provide effective technical review of regulatory submissions
- Experience in working collaboratively with First Nations, regulatory agencies, and other communities of interest
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Proven skills in leading a team
- Strong oral and written communication skills in both formal and informal settings
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.