Reporting to the Senior Lead, Biodiversity, the Lead, Biodiversity is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the environmental and social science aspects of the Coal business unit’s biodiversity program. The position will carry forward Teck’s industry-leading research and monitoring that supports Teck’s biodiversity vision.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Manage and support biodiversity activities such as schedule development, work plan development, regulatory submissions, change management, and internal and external engagement in an effective, efficient, and timely manner
- Support project permitting to review vegetation and biodiversity assessments and applications
- Implementation, management, and reporting of statistical ecosystem monitoring programs
- Develop working relationships with government agencies, Aboriginal groups, environmental organizations, and other local communities of interest to support Teck’s biodiversity activities
- Manage and coordinate multi-disciplinary environment and site team deliverables including annual Energy, Mining, and Petroleum Resources (EMPR) reporting
- Implement relevant permit and environmental assessment certificate conditions and commitments
- Develop, implement, and refine reclamation monitoring standards, vegetation quality assessment standards, and habitat suitability index modelling standards
- Be responsible for applicable contractor management to ensure work is being conducted safely and in accordance with the project scope including HSEC and Environmental Protection Work Plans
- Develop best management practices and guidance to standardize delivery and implementation of environmental and reclamation projects and programs
- Identify risks, issues or challenges, develop and evaluate options, and implement solutions
- Develop annual objectives and budgets in conjunction with the coal business unit and site-specific objectives
- Complete other responsibilities as assigned or required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Environmental Science, or in one of the Earth Science disciplines
- Minimum five years’ experience in the field of environmental management and monitoring, with preference given to candidates with experience in vegetation ecology, closure planning, cumulative effects management, and reclamation
- Proficient in environmental data management, analysis and reporting, including geographic information systems experience
- Technical knowledge of relevant federal and provincial environmental legislation, standards, and effective industry practices
- Ability to travel and work remotely for periods of time
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and address challenges
- Excellent project management experience with a track record that includes management and technical direction of multiple environmental projects
- Strong analytical and decision making abilities with a proven capacity in practical problem solving
- Ability to work productively with nominal supervision and work independently in remote locations
- Strong leadership, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.