Reporting to the Manager Health and Safety, the Health and Safety Coordinator will assist with the continual improvement, development, implementation and alignment of the Coal Business Unit (BU) Health and Safety Management Systems as part of the ongoing commitment to Everyone Going Home Safe and Healthy Every Day.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Provide leadership, coaching, mentorship and training to contractors, consultants and employees
- Provide the BU with safety leadership by developing, coordinating and promoting safety
- Maintain an active presence at Operations in support of BU and Operational alignment
- Maintain an effective Health and Safety program at all BU Administrative sites
- Conduct Health and Safety field evaluations, inspections, and effectiveness reviews
- Evaluate and recommend contractor Health and Safety Management Systems requirements to meet Business Unit needs
- Assist the BU with incident reporting and investigations as required
- Assist the BU with incorporating EHS Safety Management systems/process, and Standard Policies and Procedures (SP&P’s) into the daily operations
- Participate in and facilitate safety audits, monitor and communicate company compliance and address concerns and issues to appropriate departments/operations management and contractors
- Understand and identify norms that work against best safety practices and respond appropriately to improve
- Serve as a technical resource to the Business Unit on health, safety and regulatory/compliance issues
- Advise and consult with Operations and contractor personnel on health and safety issues, concerns, hazards and compliance matters
- Assist the BU Lead, Occupational Hygiene to meet Corporate Health and Hygiene strategic plans
- Perform other responsibilities as required or as assigned
- Five or more years of experience in mining, or operational experience in construction or other heavy industry
- High Hazard Operational experience with responsibility for Health and Safety
- A CRSP/CSP designation or in process of attaining
- Training and experience with behavior based safety or influencing organizational behavior within an industrial setting
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to present information clearly and consistently to all levels of the organization
- Team player with a positive “can-do” attitude
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Strong computer skills; specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Ability to travel
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.