Reporting to the Manager Health & Safety, the Health and Safety Coordinator will assist with the continual improvement, development, implementation and alignment of the Coal Business Unit (BU) Health and Safety Management Systems as part of the ongoing commitment to Everyone Going Home Safe and Healthy Every Day.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Provide leadership, coaching, mentorship and training to contractors, consultants and employees
- Maintain an active presence at all office locations in support of Business Unit (BU) and Operational alignment
- Maintain the Administration Health and Safety Program for Teck Coal Shared Services
- Serve as a technical resource to Teck Coal Shared Services on health, safety regulatory/compliance issues
- Act as an advisor to the Joint Health and Safety Committees at the respective office locations
- Assist in the organization of Teck Coal BU training programs
- Manage and facilitate the safety portion of the Teck Coal Orientations
- Manage Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the Shared Services offices
- Coordination of Courageous Safety Leadership sessions for Teck Coal
- Act as administrator for the Teck Coal Business Unit’s Siteline and Streamline databases and subsequent reporting
- Maintain the Teck Coal Safety SharePoint site
- Support and participate in the respective Office Safety Meetings for the Teck Coal offices
- Facilitate Work Team Risk Assessments for the Shared Services Departments
- Coordinate required office inspections
- Maintain Teck Coal’s Emergency Response Protocols and respective training and response drills
- Participate in Incident Cause Analyst Methods (ICAM) and Work Team Risk Assessments as required
- Maintain Teck Coal statistics (weekly, monthly, annually)
- Perform other responsibilities as required or as assigned
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Five or more years of experience in mining, or operational experience in construction or other heavy industry
- Working knowledge of applicable HSE regulations
- Training and experience with behavior based safety or influencing organizational behavior within an industrial setting is an asset
- Familiar with ICAM and Work Team Risk Assessments
- Familiar with the key aspects of leadership and communication as well as indirect/remote training and the importance of influencing skills
- Highly effective communication skills with the ability to relate to and communicate with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work well as a team player or individually as well as exhibit a positive “can-do” attitude
- Self-motivated and capable of working under minimal supervision and function best in high performance work environments
- Strong computer skills; specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook
- Working knowledge of various computer systems such as Siteline, Streamline, SharePoint; and Training History
- Able to travel
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.