Reporting to the Senior Engineer Supervisor Mining, the Geotechnical Technician or Geotechnical Engineer-in-Training (EIT) will assist with supporting and improving the site geotechnical program. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with the site Geotechnical Engineer and others in the site Engineering and Operations departments to implement and continuously improve the site geotechnical monitoring program and to implement associated Safe Work Plans for our operating open pits, waste rock dumps, and coal stockpiles.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Install, troubleshoot, and maintain site monitoring systems (e.g. robotic total stations, radar monitoring unit, photogrammetry drone, laser scanner) and develop and implement continuous improvement measures
- Coordinate and manage geotechnical site investigation and mapping programs
- Develop systems for the efficient collection, analysis, and response to data
- Liaise with site departments and consultants on projects, hazard identification, mitigation strategies, and geotechnical awareness training to ensure mining activities progress safely
- Identify and assist others in identifying, eliminating, and mitigating hazards
- Complete and report on field investigations, including; test pit logging, structural mapping, sensor installations
- Play an active role in Teck’s geotechnical community of practice through ongoing collaboration with personnel and Teck’s corporate engineering groups
- Work in compliance with all internal governance and regulatory requirements
- Perform other tasks as required or as assigned
- For a Technician applicant, a two year technical diploma in Geotechnical Engineering, Mineral Resource Development, Mining Engineering, Surveying, or Geomatics is preferred
- For an EIT applicant a Bachelor’s degree in Geological Engineering, Mining Engineering, or in a related discipline is required
- For an EIT applicant you must be a member, or be eligible to register with APEGA
- Minimum one to five years of experience, preferably in an open pit mining environment, with exposure to geotechnical data collection, site investigations, project management, geotechnical analyses, and risk management
- Microsoft Office®, AutoCad, MineSight 3D, Navtar Geo-Explorer, Maptek, Pics4D, and work with drones would be beneficial
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to effectively organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment and reprioritize work based on unforeseen changes
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions and perform tasks that involve heavy lifting
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills
- Proven track record of organizing data and processes
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.