Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
- Musselwhite site
We are seeking a Rock Mechanic/Geo-Technical Engineer reporting directly to the Principal Rock Mechanic. This position is based at Musselwhite Mine in northwestern Ontario. A fly-in, fly‑out operation on the southern shore of Opapimiskan Lake, located about 480 kilometers (km) north of Thunder Bay in North West Ontario. The cost of transportation is fully covered to and from Thunder Bay airport, accommodations and meals are also provided during shifts at the mine site.
- Review and recommend stope sizes, shapes and sequencing, with significant input to the production schedule
- Conduct numerical models and interpret outcomes to determine and estimate future rockmass behaviour
- Update, maintain and analyze the stress model of the mine
- Review and update ground control policies
- Liaise with operations and make ground support recommendations
- Collection and analysis of data relating to strength, stability and stress regime of rock mass
- Work on continuous improvements projects within the Rock Mechanics group
- Maintain, optimise and expand the ESG microseismic system including interpretation and analysis of data
- B.Sc. Degree in Mining Engineering, Geological Engineering
- Minimum of 3 years experience in Rock Mechanics
- Experience with the installation and operation of ground control instrumentation
- Project coordination and project costing experience would be an asset
- Demonstrated ability to develop practical, safe and cost-effective solutions
- Proficiency in 3D numerical modelling computer software (Map3D)
- Familiarity with Deswik CAD would be advantageous
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, listening)
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills
- Ability to positively interact with co-workers and team members
- Ability to work with a diverse mix of cultures
- The work schedule for this position is 14 days on 14 days off, working 12 hours day.
As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Consistent with Newmont’s values of safety and responsibility, we believe that COVID-19 vaccination is a critical tool to fight this pandemic and protect the health and safety of Newmont’s workforce and the communities in which we work and live. Accordingly, if you receive an offer of employment for this position, you will be required to provide a declaration confirming that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to your anticipated start date, and you may also be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to your anticipated start date, or at a later date upon Newmont’s request. Newmont will consider individual requests for exemption/reasonable accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to medical reasons or other grounds protected by applicable human rights law.