Reporting to the Senior Environmental Coordinator, the Environmental Coordinator will be an integral part of the Environment team, and be responsible for developing and executing on key projects and programs to support mine development and regulatory compliance.
The successful applicant will be well grounded in environmental sciences and technology, be able to communicate effectively, and be a positive influence both within the Operation and when representing the company with our regulators and communities. The role will follow a Monday to Friday, bi-weekly Earned Day Off (EDO) schedule, and will comprise approximately 60% office work, 40% fieldwork.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Participate in and coordinate extensive environmental monitoring programs such as soils, air, water, waste management, sustainability, wildlife, fisheries and environmental management systems (EMS) etc.
- Coordinate environmental programs, analyze and communicate environmental performance
- Increase environmental awareness within organization
- Prepare various professional reports and regulatory applications
- Supervise, coach and lead employees and contractors
- Liaise with federal and provincial government regulators, consultants and members of the public
- Foster working relationships with regulatory agencies, First Nations and other communities of interest, ensuring we achieve our commitments on time and as expected
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Sciences, Natural Resources Sciences, Engineering or similar discipline
- Professional accreditation (PAg, RPF, PBio, or PEng) is an asset
- Prior experience working with Alberta Energy Regulator and a working knowledge of Alberta’s land conservation and reclamation legislation especially in open-pit Coal or Oilsands mining environment is considered a strong asset
- Sound working knowledge in one or more of the following disciplines:
- GIS and Environmental monitoring databases (e.g. EQUIS)
- Surface water quality management
- Air quality management
- Environmental Best Management Practices
- Environmental compliance and/or auditing
- Demonstrated professional experience in project management, environmental sciences, and regulatory affairs
- Team oriented, adaptable, and energetic
- A strong desire for continued professional and personal development
- Strong communication skills, with demonstrated professionalism and the ability to interact at all levels of the operation
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.