Reporting to the General Supervisor, Mine Operations, the Drill and Blast Supervisor is responsible for assigning work and supervising the Mine Blast crews in meeting production objectives in a safe, environmentally responsible and efficient manner. The position follows a 4x4 Day Shift schedule.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Oversee the drilling and blasting operations on site
- Manage and optimize drilling and blasting functions
- Understand mine plans and liaise with other shift supervisors, engineers and maintenance personnel in coordinating drilling and blasting activities in an efficient manner
- Lead and motivate individuals in achieving operating targets and maximize employee work performance and productivity through coaching and feedback
- Manage and supervise contractors including explosive suppliers
- Participate in industrial relations and safety investigation as required by the Senior Supervisor
- Be accountable for site nitrate management initiatives
- Participate in establishing and implementing business unit best practices related to drilling and blasting
- Perform other responsibilities as required or assigned
- Minimum three years of direct experience supervising activities in an open pit mining environment
- Experience in blasting and valid Blasters Ticket is an asset
- Must possess a valid Open Pit Shift Boss Certificate
- Exposure to DABS System is considered an asset but not mandatory
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills, and a proven track record of supervising a crew of employees
- Good communication, interpersonal and organizational skills with demonstrated professionalism and ability to interact at all levels of the organization
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to multi-task and work under pressure
- Detail-oriented, adaptable, energetic, and have an excellent attitude towards safety
- Basic computer skills
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.