Reporting to the Sr. Cost Analyst, the Cost Analyst is responsible for performing financial analysis to support operational decision-making, optimizing the use of the financial systems at the operation, and coordinating transaction processing and financial reporting activities with the Shared Service groups.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Perform cost analysis to identify opportunities, efficiencies and waste
- Analyze and explain financial performance to plan and stretch targets
- Participate in various site projects that require financial evaluation and return
- Perform month-end activities that occur on-site
- Review and validate financial reports prepared by the Finance Shared Service group
- Assist the Controller with the preparation of budgets and forecasts for the operation
- Seek out opportunities to improve processes around financial planning
- Respond to ad hoc financial queries
- Explain and educate department heads on their financial performance versus plan
- Develop tools and reports to assist departments with analysis and reporting
- Investigate variances in actual results versus plan
- Assist with the hourly payroll process & contractor process
- Perform other responsibilities as required or as assigned
- Designated qualified accountant (CPA) is an asset
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in accounting/finance
- Financial accounting experience (IFRS, GAAP)
- Analysis and reporting experience
- Excellent computer skills, particularly spreadsheet and word processing applications
- ERP systems experience, especially Microsoft AX is an asset
- Ability to prioritize, work under pressure with minimal guidance and meet tight deadlines
- Very good analytical, problem solving and decision making abilities
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.